Sunday, June 26, 2011

Just Jump!

I have had many people ask me recently about how the Lord has led me to step out in faith, leave my full time job, go down to a part time job and work for Him. I cannot say that it was an easy decision, in fact, I wavered for many weeks, and even months on whether I was hearing Him correctly!
  I have been given a desire and a love for writing- which is one of the reasons I have created this blog. But the Lord has given me a gift of being able to take His word and put it into a play, a lesson, a VBS program. None of this is my own ability- it is ALL Him! Even the desire to serve Him in this capacity is from Him. It all started for me back in April of this year. I had written a play called "The Road to Emmaus", some may know the story already, so I won't bore you with details, but encourage you to go and read it in His Word!
   My family had taken a vacation to Florida about a week prior to the paly going live, and the desire to write full time for the Lord came to me while sitting out on a balcony, reading my bible, early in the morning. I didn't think much of it, knowing that now was not the right time, I was still employed full time. A few weeks went by, and the desire grew inside me, becoming so strong at times that I couldn't even focus on my work, all I could think about was writing and dedicating every thing I could to it. After the Easter Play was over, there was no denying it- I had to make a change. God was calling me to step out in faith and follow His plan for me. But, I hesitated. How would my husband react to me quitting my job (a large portion of our income) to serve the Lord? How would we do it? How would we pay the bills? All these questions racing through my mind- and the only answer I recieved- "I will take care of you".
  My heart for my position at work was changing as well, I could feel a change coming, yet I continued to wrestle with Him. I decided to speak to my husband about it, and get his perspective. He answered (not what I was expecting) that if that is what God was wanting, then that is what we would do. He also was concerned about the finances, but we decided to pray about it and see where the Lord was leading. Another week or so went by. I began preparing a lesson for Children's Ministry for the upcoming Sunday, and the lesson "pricked" my heart. The point of the lesson was that "Jesus makes the impossible, possible". Okay, Lord, I get it, but......what about the money?
  I was then given a picture- a picture of me, standing on the edge of a cliff, below me was a large, dark, endless canyon. God was standing on the other side with His arms open, saying, "Jump, I got you! Trust me!" Well, me, being the nervous ninny about heights, wasn't too sure still! Another week went by and the same lesson came up again in Children's Ministry- Trust in Him, He makes miracles happen! He provides, walk in Faith. Over and Over again, the same thing kept resonating with my spirit. God was telling me to "Jump!' but I was afraid of falling. All of May was spent praying, and questioning, praying and questioning.
  June 1st, I came into work, flipped my calendar from May to June and the quote that appeared for the month of June was by Oswald Chambers, "Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading." That struck me to my core- it was official. I called my husband, and I gave my notice. And I have been overflowing with Joy, Peace and Grace ever since! We never know where the Lord is going to take us, we make our plans based upon the gifts we feel He needs to use, but we forget that it is not up to us. Everything we are, everything we have is for Him and to Him and because of Him. So, whatever it is that He is calling you to do....Just Jump!